The use of computer as part of Information Technology has become an important tool used in aiding challenges of life in our daily activities both at home, schools or offices. Some individuals of present days are limited to the core values and ample opportunities of information technology available to them but are only concerned on using the computer for some ‘dubious’ internet purposes only. The world we live in is very dynamic in nature as new ideas, innovations and concepts of computer education are being introduced at all levels to solve human problems in all fields of endeavour.
The challenges being faced by fresh graduates with little or no requisite skills in computer knowledge always get disappointed as most employers seek for those talented graduates with computer skills. Some of the graduates leave the university without these skills despite the introduction of some relevant programmes in their schools. Without exaggerating, experiences have shown that graduates find it difficult to succeed as an entrepreneur without proficiency in computer appreciation/applications or inability to demonstrate their work efficiency in the latest information technology of the corporate world as an employee. The universities cum private organizations have to look inwards to provide the students not only with the theoretical aspect of learning but also with relevant skills in computer practical training sessions.
The essence of introducing the use of computer training practical to all students and lecturers of tertiary institution is to equip these young minds with the extra skills to meet up with the challenges of work during and after school life. Secondly, the programme also act as medium to prepare the students to be self employed with these computer skills and be an asset to the society they belong to. Therefore, all students especially the graduating students of these institutions should not be left out in this wonderful experience as we highlight the usefulness of this programme.
1. It empowers the students/graduates to be self employed with their relevant computer skills which would help to reduce unemployment.
2. Through these medium, the university/organization would have an equipped facility to run the programme from time to time.
3. It would also make our graduates sellable and the lecturers competent in their distinguished fields.
4. It would project the good image of the Institution or Organization.
5. Introducing the computer programme would generate revenue to the university or organization as the case may be.
6. On the part of the students, the training fees would be very affordable compare to outside prices.
7. In addition, this initiative would also help the government at all levels, realized their objectives in the ongoing National Skills and Acquisition Programme.
AIM & OBJECTIVES
The aim of this programme is suggested to cover for all the students and interested lecturers of the institution to equip them with the basic practical skills of computer appreciation before and after their graduation which would be a continuous process within the complex.
Moreover, we intend to achieve the following objectives of this programme;
• To improve on the general abilities of students and lecturers on the use of computer appreciation/applications.
• To develop their typing skills and English grammar competence which aids them in their research and speech reports.
• To learn basic mathematical and statistical functions that would be useful in presenting and analyzing their work data in tables and charts for greater understanding.
• To know how to design and present information or reports using slides for seminar presentation or project defense which would aid both the lecturer and students.
• To know how to use the internet for academic research, posting of journals or articles and electronic mails (e-mail) transfers.
• It would act as an avenue for researchers and scholars to carry out their project/thesis research work online with useful results.
The training of the basic computer appreciation and application will include the following but not limited to;
• Microsoft Word/Word Processing
• Microsoft Excel
• Microsoft PowerPoint
• Microsoft Access
• Microsoft Outlook
• Networking, Repairs & Maintenance
The challenges of this programme may not be limited to the following;
• Student’s commitment and awareness
• Resource personnel
• Adequate power supply
– General awareness
– Learning materials
– Collection of registration fees
– Miscellaneous expenses, etc.
The period of the computer programme would cover for a period of one to two months for a particular set of participants depending on the arrangements during all first semesters of the academic sessions.
The organizers have to employ experienced instructors in specialized fields of IT who are very knowledgeable and skillful in training the students on the use of computer appreciation/applications. Also, the need to hire an Administrative Head and Accounts officer would be necessary for organization and accountability of the centre to run efficiently and effectively.
The venue of the computer programme should be situated at any of the university’s’ designated places. The computer centre must be equipped with standard Central Processing Units (CPU) with Desk top Monitors of minimum of 30 sets with installed split units to make the environment conducive for learning.
PAYMENT FOR REGISTRATION
The management of the organization should create an affordable fixed fee for the students training (subject to review) in order to pull a large crowd. Also, there should be a separate fee for Registration, Identity cards and Learning materials for the participants.
It is important that the students, lecturers and institutions should take the training of computer appreciation very serious by improving their competence skills to enable them to stand out among their peers as the world is evolving through science and technology. Organizing a computer programme centre for the students would undoubtedly bridge the gap of computer appreciation and information technology deficiency among our youths in this part of the country as they face the challenges of the labour market after graduation and the capacity to interact with their compatriots in the outside world.
Finally, it is most valuable to introduce the computer appreciation training programme into the university curriculum for students generally especially those with study loans as we cannot leave our leaders of tomorrow behind as knowledge in Information Technology is highly beneficial.